Hours before the Mega Millions drawing, the jackpot prize reached $1.28 billion, the second largest in the game’s history.
ATLANTA – Across the country, Americans gambled their luck at a massive billion-dollar jackpot, but were there any lucky Mega Millions winners on Friday?
The winning numbers for Friday night’s record-breaking $1.28 billion jackpot were 13-36-45-57-67, Mega Ball 14 and Megaplier 2. The cash option for tonight’s jackpot is $747.2 million.
We won’t know for a few hours if there is a winner. The last time the Mega Millions game had a winner was April 15th. If there is no winner tonight, the next jackpot is an estimated $1.7 billion, making it the nation’s largest lottery prize.
Hours before the Mega Millions drawing, the jackpot hit $1.28 billion, the game’s second-largest prize.
The lottery was held Friday in Atlanta, Georgia. Immediately after the drawing at 11 p.m., a number of people went to the Mega Millions website to check if they had the winning ticket. On Tuesday, the website went down two hours after the draw.
The huge jackpot belonged to the nation The third grand prize of every lottery game in the United States and the result was 29 consecutive draws with no one playing all six numbers.
The odds of matching the magic six are slim, but not impossible – a staggering 302.5 million. Although some doubled and tripled their efforts, there was little luck.
On the off chance that someone matches all six numbers, the winner will have the option of an annuity paid out in 30 annual payments. Most players choose the cash option.
As the prize pool approached the billion dollar mark, the focus on the mega-millions grew exponentially. The co-founder of a fast food chain even bought 50,000 Mega Millions tickets for the second time this week to be the lucky winner.
Since 2016, there have been 40 Mega Millions jackpot winners spread across 22 states. California is the state with the most jackpot winners in the last six years.
next one Mega Millions drawing It’s Tuesday, August 2nd at 11pm EST.
What are the 10 biggest mega million jackpots?
1. 1.537 billion dollars – 10/23/2018
2. $1.28 billion – 7/29/2022 – Est
3. $1.050 billion – 1/22/2021
4. 656 million dollars – 30/3/2012
5. 648 million dollars – 12/17/2013
6. $543 million – 7/24/2018
7. $536 million – 7/8/2016
8. $533 million – 3/30/2018
9. 522 million dollars – 6/7/2019
10. $516 million – 5/21/2021
What are the 10 biggest US lottery jackpots ever won?
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
3. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
4. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
5. $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
6. $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
7. $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
8. $687.8 million, Powerball, October 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
9. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
10. $648 million, Mega Millions, December 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
Mega Millions is played on Tuesdays and Fridays in 45 states, as well as Washington DC and the US Virgin Islands.