2 Denver police officers arrested; Father and son charged with felony theft – Greeley Tribune

Two Denver police officers have been arrested on suspicion of theft, allegations related to paying bills for out-of-work hours to a private employer for non-working hours.

Police said in a press release that Michael Pineda, 50, and his son, Santana Pineda, 26, were arrested on Tuesday for a felony theft investigation.

The statement stated that an internal affairs investigation showed that the suspects “were not present at a scheduled off-duty, paid job.” The job was off duty to work in police uniform.

Investigators reviewed surveillance video provided by the private employer against officer schedules and discovered 23 shifts inconsistencies for Michael Pineda worth $5,070 and 18 rotations for Santana Pineda worth $3,751.50, according to the statement.

According to the statement, “Officers began working off-hours at the company in October of 2021, however, videos from the store that investigators used to confirm their actual working hours only date back to February 28, 2022.” The investigation will be submitted to the Denver District Attorney’s Office to determine criminal charges, if any.

Michael Pineda joined the division in 2004, Santana Pineda joined in 2019, both are patrol officers. They were placed on administrative leave on 11 July. Since their arrest, the leave is now unpaid. The press release stated that the department’s administrative review and disciplinary actions will resume once criminal cases are adjudicated. If convicted of a felony, the spouse will lose their job.

In 2014, Michael Pineda was among the Denver officers Receipt of the Medal of Honor from the department. He was acknowledged, along with others, for their response to the hostage situation in September 2012 at the Radio Shack store on East Colfax Street.

Police said at the time of the 2014 filing that the officers’ actions, “who valued the hostages’ lives above theirs, led to the hostages being left unharmed and the suspects arrested.” The suspects surrendered peacefully after an hours-long standoff.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Related posts

Leave a Comment